Sunday, December 2, 2012

Unexpected Creative Detour

Just as I was getting back in the sewing groove, I encountered a detour and I am now in Seattle.

Just before Thanksgiving, my dear mother was told she has..

lung cancer.

Did I really just write that?? I keep thinking they'll say...just kidding...we made a mistake.

Aaahh, but not so.

There is an area on her left lung that has cancer about 4.5cm in size, (about the size of a golf ball). I decided to go to Seattle to stay with her while she goes through a series of tests; brain MRI, bone scan, PET scan to see if the cancer is anywhere else in her body. We'll hear the results on Dec. 5th.

What we currently know is that it has been caught early. Mom was having shortness of breath and feeling very tired and mentioned this to hear doctor when she was having some other tests done. The doctor decided to do a CAT scan because he was more concerned about a blood clot at that time. That is how they discovered the cancer. Usually lung cancer is not detected until later stages because there is not really any symptoms until later, when more area is affected.

I have been in Seattle for a week to-date and could be here for several more. If the cancer has not spread they will do surgery to remove the lower lobe of her lung. I will be here to take care of her (and her cats) through this. If the cancer has spread, there will be chemo, etc. and we'll see what happens with that.

Because I flew to Seattle, I do not have my sewing machine! I am missing it dearly. Mom continues to work, so I am alone a good portion of the day. Right about now, I am wishing I had a nice hand project to do, but I don't. What to do? Go shopping!! I've been to local quilts shops, fabric shops and bought some goodies. I have been playing around with making flower embellishments.

Check out my mess on mom's table. lol.





1 comment:

  1. Well as much as you're missed around here, we're very happy that you get to be with her through this. I am sure it means the world to her! Please let her know she's in our thoughts and prayers! <3

    ReplyDelete